This recipe has saved me many nights when those dangerous sugar cravings come on. I happened to have all the necessary ingredients (most of them are staples in my house) and so together we created probably the best fruit dessert I’ve had. I have since then reproduced this recipe and gotten the approval of my Italian friend’s family, including the papa who groans every time he has to eat something gluten-free. So I think I would call this a success! Enjoy!
Filling ingredients (serves 4-5):
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 1 pear, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- 8 strawberries, sliced
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
For the crumble:
- 2 tbsp coconut flour (or other gluten free flour should work)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (make sure it is sugar free)
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 3/4 cup of oats (gluten free)
- 1/2 cup halved walnuts (crush them by hand)
- Honey (for drizzling)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place fruit in a baking dish.
- Squeeze lemon juice in, add in lots of cinnamon (I like to make sure all the apples and pears are covered) and some nutmeg or all-spice.
- Get a bowl for the crumble mix and add in all the ingredients except the honey.
- Mix well with a fork–the coconut oil and almond butter help make little cluster pieces.
- Cover fruit evenly with the crumble. Drizzle some honey over top (don’t go crazy…)
- Put in the oven for 30 min (will depend on how thin the fruit is sliced).