By: Dr. Nicole Sandilands ND
This is a great, fast midweek meal. I usually make it when I have greens that I have to use up as most of the other ingredients you will likely already have on hand.
- 1/4 cup of olive or avocado oil
- 4 sausages (sliced into ½ inch pieces)- if you prefer you can use chicken or some other animal protein
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of dry red or white wine
- 1 can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 6 cups of leafy greens, chopped (kale or collard greens work well, could also use spinach or beet greens or mustard greens)
- 1 can of beans (chickpeas or a can of mixed beans)
- Brown rice- optional
Place oil in a large pot, heat to medium and add the sausage (or other protein). Heat until meat is browned. Add onion and garlic and continue to heat until they begin to soften. Add 1 cup of wine and heat until it reduces to about ½ – about 3-5 minutes. Add beans, diced tomatoes, chicken broth and bay leaf to the pot. Simmer for 5-10 minutes. Add the lemon juice and greens to the pot and continue to simmer until the greens have softened. Can be served as is or over rice if desired. Enjoy!